There are numerous reasons to get a doula but let’s look at this reasonably. Having a baby is not cheap. There are several expenses that can add up quickly and getting a doula on top of that can be daunting. Doula’s can usually run between $500.00 to 2,000.00. Granted, you may find someone you like for less than $500.00, but you should not pick a doula based on her rate. You should pick a doula based on how you relate to them. To help you with this, here’s a list of tips that could help you afford a doula.
Here are a few tips that can help you afford a doula.
1. Ask your insurance company if they cover doulas. Some are starting to cover this service because they know that doulas make a difference.
2. If your employer has a pre-tax dollars medical/dental program, (FSA or HSA account) you may be able to use those dollars for your doula. Your doula may have information regarding this including specific codes you need to get reimbursed.
3. Put a doula fund on your baby shower registry. You may want to put less items on your registry and suggest your family and friends donate to your doula fund. Many people don’t know what a doula does. Here’s a video that will explain exactly what a doula is and what they can do for you during your birth. What is a Doula. Any amount will help.
4. Cut out non-essential spending like cable or eating out to save money for your doula.
5. Ask the doula if they take payments. Many doulas do.
6. Use the barter service with your doula. Many will accept services, like auto repair, painting or gardening services for all or part of their services.
7. Ask if they will charge you using a sliding scale fee. This means they will look at your income and your family size and figure out a lower rate for you and your family.
8. Have a garage sale and sell all of those items around your house you don’t use anymore. Have friends or family donate to the sale so you have additional items to sell which means additional money for your doula fee.
9. Do odd jobs, like babysitting, garden work, painting, etc.
10. Use your tax return.
Using these tips you should help you to afford a doula so you and your family can have an amazing birth.
Now that you know how you can afford a doula, I have put together a few reasons why you need a doula for your first birth all the way to your tenth and beyond. Doulas really do make a difference.
In a recent Cochrane Review, Continuous Support for Women During Childbirth, showed a very high number of positive birth outcomes when a doula was present. With the support of a doula, women were less likely to have pain relief medicine administered and less likely to have a cesarean birth.
Women also reported having a more positive childbirth experience. Other studies have shown that having a doula as a member of your birth team decreases the overall cesarean rate by 50%, the length of labor by 25%, the use of oxytocin by 40%, and requests for an epidural by 60%. In addition their babies have higher Apgar scores at birth.
Doulas know about birth and they believe that you are very capable of giving birth. They will be your personal cheer leader. They will help your family by helping them help you and keeping them focused. I’ve heard stories from Mom’s that did not have doulas about their families being so involved in each other, including her partner, that they literally almost missed the birth. With a doula, this kind of behavior by your family may not happen.
If you have any additional question regarding affording a doula or what a doula can do for you, please don't hesitate to contact me.
My specialty is helping you have an amazing birth for you and your family. Sign up for a FREE consultation with me and find out how. Call (925) 895-4948 or
contact me today to set up an appointment.